After Day One, Phil Hellmuth is the chip leader,
Mike Matusow is close second
Caesar's Palace has accommodated many epic events over the years. From Evel Knievel's daredevil motorcycle jump over the imperial fountains back in 1968 to numerous heavyweight championship prizefights spanning four decades, Caesars Palace has long been associated with gargantuan sporting spectacles. Now, add poker to Caesar's carte du jour.
Hunting for something on my hard drive the other day, I stumbled upon the first poem I ever wrote in Spanish:
La pregunta es la respuesta.
Which translates as follows:
The question is the answer.
It helps to understand the kind of opponents you are facing when playing winning poker. (That's the only kind of poker we want to play!) We are all familiar with tight and loose players, timid, passive and aggressive players; often there are deceptive players (you may be one yourself); and, of course, we love "calling stations" - opponents we can count on to call our bets when we hold the nuts. Depending on the kind of players in the hand, we can adjust our strategy so that we have the best chance of winning as large a pot as possible - or avoiding calling bets doomed to be losers.
Today I will wrap up our discussion of "4-cards working together" consisting of a pair and two low cards. The chart on the right covers the remaining low card combinations. As stated earlier all combinations involving a pair of aces with any two low cards is always profitable. The pair of kings needs the help of being double suited. If you have not been following along, the hands containing the 5 with a low card lower then the 5 say a deuce would have been covered when we analyzed the deuce with a five.
We're all influenced by our surroundings. Sometimes, we make quick decisions that are worse than they would be if we had a chance to analyze. That's the truth about us as human beings.
And, so, when we're playing poker, we're apt to let the noises we hear and the erratic gestures we see lead us to costly conclusions. Today, I'll present a lecture I did on that topic many years ago. You'll learn to hear beyond the noise and see beyond the gestures.
And you'll discover this truth: Your opponents' images sometimes have little to do with their actions. Listen...
[Read Part One of this story]
Our host, Sugi, forewarned us as we left our Tokyo hotel that unscrupulous characters were trying to muscle in on his poker tournament, but we were not expecting to be sideswiped by a truck. Thanks to airbags we were just buffeted about. As I was trying to get my mind in gear, Hobby shouted, "Quick, they're coming."
Last year, in an article on Player Images, I wrote in this newspaper that "Behind every action there must be an image." (Poker Player, May 31, 2004) Normally, when we look at actions and the images behind them we expect to find some congruence. In other words, if a person thinks of himself as serious, he will act studiously and look serious. If people think of themselves as being friendly or humorous they will smile and joke around. These are the images that are consistent with their actions. That's in real life. However, the poker table is far from real life.
After signing up for a $4-8 Hold'Em game, LindaMae strode over to my chair, sat, and asked, "What is that C thingy I see in your articles?" Cleverly, I responded, "C thingy?" Yes, she said that it was in all those formulas that clutter up my columns.
My guess is that 99 percent of today's poker players watch those poker tournaments on TV. The other 1 percent don't have TV's! We have tournaments for Hollywood actors, soap opera stars and race car drivers. We also have a ton of reruns of the World Series of Poker, the WPT, and new challenge matches keep popping up everywhere. Is it any wonder that the texture of our game is changing?